Thursday, August 2, 2007

Minneapolis Bridge is falling down... falling down... falling down... My fair lady

Tragedy struck the bright city of Minneapolis yesterday evening around 6pm when I was at neighboring St.Paul campus for my Salsa class. My house is just off the 35W interstate entry ramp, a few hundred feet away. I cannot believe it - I leave the city for a couple of hours, and look what these people did!!! Do I have to be here all the time ?!?!

Mokkais apart, it was really incredible - we went very close to the scene and tried to quench our curiosity. I didn't believe it when my friend called and told me about it on my way home - I thought 'ye,rite!' - coming close to my bus stop, the driver pointed out 'look at that point over there, beyond that there is no bridge'. I went close by and .... (jaw dropping)!

The emergency response was really awesome - lived up to its name. The first response vehicles were supposedly here one minute after the collapse. Curious onlookers like me were an impediment to rescue workers and were soon shoo-ed off the area. Traffic is still very slow around this area because of the huge number of rescue vehicles stationed near the bridge.

Emails and phone calls flew all around the place with people inquiring whether their friends and loved ones were alright. Incoming juniors from India to Minnesota all mailed their concern as well - how very sweet of them :)

My personal thanks to all my friends who rang or buzzed to inquire about my safety...

My prayers to the victims and their families...

No comments: